Tips On Picking The Right Pair Of Flip-flops For You
citizen | 8/16/2011, 11:30 a.m.
(NAPSI) The Problem
A survey by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) found that 50 percent of Americans have experienced foot pain or discomfort at some point. Improper footwear is often a chief cause of this pain and many types of flip-flops can directly cause foot problems.
The podiatrists point out five things:
1. Your flip-flops should never be able to bend or twist except to follow the foot.
2. High-quality soft leather minimizes the potential for blisters and other irritation, especially compared to rubber.
3. Make sure your feet dont hang off the edge of the shoe, making your toes easy targets for stubbing, cuts and scrapes.
4. Dont wear flip-flops while doing yard work, playing sports or walking long distances.
5. Quality flip-flops provide built-in arch support to cushion your feet. Lack of arch support can lead to a number of foot health problems.
Nonsupportive flip-flops cause a common foot injury known as plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the tissue along the bottom of the foot and the heel, explains podiatrist Phillip J. Vasyli. Flip-flops leave feet prone to common muscle overuse injuries, which can be easily prevented with the right footwear.